“Sardines may not enjoy the popularity of other fish, but they’re one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet”
Michael Joseph, Nutrition Advance.com
What are they?
These small, nutritious cousins of the herring family are eaten whole and provide plenty of omega-3 fatty acids.
They’re named after the Italian island of Sardinia, where records show that they were caught there as early as the 15th century.
Sardines are extremely nutritious and contain almost every major nutrient
Have a look at this list of 9 good reasons to eat sardines:
- Sardines are a rich source of bio-available calcium which is an essential mineral for skeletal and dental health. Vegan dieters and those who follow a strict paleo, dairy-free diet, set themselves up for calcium deficiency.
- One of the best health boosts that eating sardines can provide, are essential Omega 3 fatty acids, EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). These provide anti-inflammatory protection against many chronic diseases.
- Sardines are incredibly rich in Vitamin D which is a hormone rather than a vitamin that is produced by the ultraviolet rays of the sun reacting on our skin. For those living in the Northern hemisphere where the winters are dark and long, or for people who use an excessive amount of sunscreen, it is essential to obtain Vitamin D from a good food source.
- If we are looking for a way to increase our protein intake, then sardines are the answer. The essential amino acids in protein are needed synthesize hormones, grow and repair body cells and they also make us feel satisfied after eating.
- Selenium is a mineral that acts as an antioxidant in the body. It also plays a role in DNA repair and the proper functioning of the endocrine and immune systems.
- Sardines contain an insignificant amount of mercury, and they are among the cleanest fish in the ocean.
- Sardines are affordable to everyone.
- Both fresh and canned sardines are very convenient, nutritious and good for health.
- When we take a total view of everything these fish provide, it is even more impressive;